Renting to tenants may not guarantee a high enough income for the landowner. It can be more profitable to displace people by an animal cash crop.
Tenanted farm can only generate so much income from rents. With an increase in town size, it an increased demand from industry for agricultural products, it is more profitable to have herds of animals, not a gaggle of tenants. Meat and wool demand increases rapidly as towns grow. Apart from any other considerations, moving people off land also creates large areas where landowners can indulge a passion for hunting. While this generates little income, it does give social status.
The "Highland Clearances" are probably the most famous example of a forced change in land usage on a large scale. Contary to popular belief, Highland clan leaders carried out most of the Scottish clearances, driving their own kinsmen and clans into exile. The chieftans needed to pay for their sophisticated life that they could have in Edinburgh and London by reinventing themselves as Scottish gentry. Sheep income earned more money than the crofters did.
- Level 2
- 2 Turns to Build
- 700 Coin
- Requires Tenanted Farms, Four-Field Crop Rotation
- Enables Great Estates
- +0.7% to Population Growth
- Reduces the Chance of Food Shortages
- +X Coins to Region Wealth (Depends on Yield of Farming Region)
- Enables research of Selective Breeding, Seed Planting Drill, Advanced Irrigation, Steam-Pumped Land Drainage